
I write this blog today with a very heavy heart. It could be offensive to some and encouraging to others. I don't apologize for it because what I share today are words from the mouth of Jesus. These verses are heavy and hard to hear. I felt a strong need to blog on this because God won't let me push it aside and forget it. He keeps it in the forefront of my mind and heart. I have shed A LOT of tears over this and prayed and prayed!
Recently a group of mom's in Grand Junction, CO, my home town, came together to fight against some of the homeless population in the city. They say they have compassionate hearts for the homeless who have good excuses for their situation but want to drive out those who drink, fight, and ultimately those they think don't want to get help out of their situation. They say it's for the safety of their children in this one particular park which is the favorite of these moms. But in the midst of this, a lot of the press and media coverage is communicating that this group want to get all homeless out of our parks. From the moment I heard about this group, I feared this very thing. It is being strongly communicated to the homeless community as a whole that this group of moms don't want them in their parks. There are also many people rallying to the cause who are commenting on the news station sites and the moms group's facebook page that are clearly against 100% of the homeless community. This news clip shows how one homeless mother feels rejection by this mom's group and how Jacob Richards with 'Housing First, No More Deaths' feels about it. "An individual breaking a law in public needs to be held accountable," he said. "But, painting everybody with broad brush stroke or creating a law that bans everybody from sitting or lying in a park is not going to be effective." I agree!
Group Turns To City In Effort To 'Reclaim Grand Junction' - Local News Story - KJCT Grand Junction
Although I understand that some of the men in the park could be dangerous these women do not know these men's stories. They are not interested in the hearts of these people but rather having a park to feel safe in. That's fine if that's their priority however, these woman profess to follow Christ. This is what saddens me. If safety and homeless free park is what you want, pick a different park. But there's A LOT more to this then that. . .Let me share my heart.
I have been challenged recently by what Jesus says in Luke 14:26-27,
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate their father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."
Those are STRONG words. 100% of our lives should be given up for Christ. As far as I can tell Jesus doesn't give a disclaimer like, "but always make sure your kids are safe even at the cost of those who need Christ's love, grace and compassion." He says give it ALL up!
But these women aren't "Reclaiming Grand Junction" for the cause of Christ, and this is why I say, Find another park! But what they are doing can hinder Christ's cause by hurting homeless, showing no grace and mercy the way Christ calls us to. Luke 6:35-36 says,
"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
Again Jesus doesn't say, "only those whom YOU think are worthy." or "only those you think have a good excuse for their situation." Driving homeless out of parks just because we want to hang out there and be safe is not mercy! So, the 100% of our lives given up for Christ slowly dwindles to 95%, 85% and so on. We separate Christ from the parts of our lives where we feel we are entitled to something, like our park. We are willing to kick someone to the curb without talking to them, sharing Christ with them, offering a helping hand because of OUR ENTITLEMENT! What?! that's not what "giving up everything" means!
"Taking up your Cross" often gets interpreted as carrying a burden like the cost of discipleship, persecution, etc. Jesus wasn't speaking in code when he said it. People in those times knew the cross to be a instrument of DEATH. Jesus was saying that if you are really going to follow him, you're a dead man. Your life is OVER! That's it! It's not about you and what you want anymore. A true disciple gives up EVERY SINGLE PART OF THEIR LIVES. When I told a woman I greatly respected that I believe we should give it all up for Christ, including our safety, she actually responded with, "but even the safety of your children?" Well, Jesus said the cost of discipleship means hating your parents, spouse, kids etc. Jesus said "give up EVERYTHING!" Again, if you don't want to reach these people with the gospel, Fine! Then find another park. But There is no where in the Bible that says, "keep your kids safe and enjoy your comfort even if it offends those who need Me." Folks, there is no arguing that this is not what taking up your cross is all about. Our safety, comfort and having our favorite park is not the life He calls us to.
The same woman I mentioned in the last paragraph also said that these "people" have figured out that they can take advantage of Christians. I was like she was saying that "We've had enough and they get no more grace or compassion from us!" I was shocked! I heard a man who was a missionary in New Guinea with his family for years say that our attitude should be "I'm a Christian. Take advantage of me!" We aren't entitled to anything on earth. Our retirement and rest and reward are in heaven.
Until then we are called to the cause of Christ 100% of our lives, every single second!
Comments