where do I fit?

We've been here at Yakima Alliance Church for 5 weeks (that's from Dave's first day in the office up until now). Things are going wonderfully! We love the youth and the leaders and are feeling so cared for in the church body and truly feel like a part of a family.
But I am not sure where my place is yet. Dave and I both know I am just as called to Youth ministry as he is but he's the one who's being paid and has expectations placed on him. I'm kind of on my own as far as what I want to be doing. At River of Life in CO I only ever worked with the high school group. I always felt a connection with the girls in that age group and it came naturally to me. Now, 8 years after we first jumped into youth min as a couple and 4 years after our start at ROL we are both feeling like we have a ministry to leaders in the ministry. There are some young ladies here who are working with the high school and jr. high who might benefit from my experience and guidance. I only want to help them grow into the leaders God wants them to be. But there's some changes that are going to take place this fall. The high school group is losing one female leader and possibly a second both due to job situations. However, the jr high group may be losing one female leader as well. So, I am hanging in limbo waiting to see what the fall holds for the two groups. This will better assist me in deciding where my focus should be. As of now I am spending much of my time with the high school group but am thinking I might start joining the jr high this fall on youth group nights. We will still host the high school students in our home and I have the desire to be involved in the high school girls small group (as long as time allows) as well as other girls events that I have ideas for. It's tough because as the Youth Pastors wife I can sense there is a desire in both groups to get some of my attention. Not that I am anything special but I am the new girl and the wife of the newly hired and loved Youth Pastor.
I have had a few coffee dates with some of the girls and am regularly meeting with one of the jr. high leaders. I enjoy my time with Emily and the opportunity to share with her things I have learned over the years. She is a sponge and so willing to listen and learn. I appreciate her heart for youth ministry and I can tell God will do wonderful things through her in time. As much as I love time with her, I want to make sure I am seeing any other needs within the girls group. I want to be available and approachable. This summer has been strange and I think the fall, once school starts, will put things more into place. I will have two kids of my own in school and will hopefully be able to visit kids in their schools with Dave during lunch hour.
So, this is my situation. It's wonderful to be in a place where I can be used and the people want me involved. I feel needed and can see that God wants to work through me along side of Dave. We make a great team and I am blessed to have a husband who sees my gifts and won't let me stand by and watch. he will always push me to use my gifts and be all God wants me to be.
Comments