As some of you might have sensed, I have gotten a little frustrated with Facebook. Ever since the election in November my news feed has been flooded with everyone's opinion of what should happen and their fears about what's to come. There's so much hate and anger and a lot of very ungodly talk and name calling, a lot of which is coming from those who claim to be Christ-followers. My heart grieves over the attitudes and lack of trust in our all mighty God that I've seen over taking Facebook. Whether or not I agree with any of their opinions is not the issue. . . It's the lack of love towards others that saddens me. I came too close too many times to posting my own statuses to scold people but knew it would do no good and only get myself drug across the coals. So, I have taken a step back. . . .its time to recall the real purpose of Facebook for myself.
It's an easy place to vent and share what's going on in my day. I found many times my statuses were posted with a subconscious hope that someone would care and ask for more. I didn't want to use Facebook this way but with few local friends and a busy life as a mom, wife and having a job I often found Facebook became an outlet for me. (I am always grateful to have my Lord present in my life and the ability to spend time "venting" to him and sharing my heart. But unfortunately, I found Facebook a temptation when it came to sharing my heart) I'm sure I'm not the only person who deleted a million typed statuses before posting, knowing it was too whiney or depressing. Instead, more recently, I have found myself trying to be encouraging to others by posting uplifting thoughts and scripture verses. But even with my attempt to be more positive I have had to take certain "friends" off my news feed in order to spare myself the sadness and heart ache that seemed inevitable.
In light of all this, I have decided to blog more and spend less time "catching up" on Facebook. I will check in and stay in touch through Facebook but spend less time scanning my news feed. I will still post things that I feel might encourage others and updates on the things Dave and I are involved in with our ministries. I have no intention of "bragging" on Facebook but over Christmas break I shared some things Dave, our kids and myself did to help others and I was encouraged to hear that a friend had been inspired and motivated to do more in her own area to help others because of what I shared. I have so many flaws and weaknesses and am not the greatest role model but in some ways I hope others can see how Dave and I live and find it in them to also step up and get involved in helping others.
Facebook needs to be a place of encouragement for me, otherwise, it is not something I need in my life. I will, therefore, make it what I need it to be. :)
It's an easy place to vent and share what's going on in my day. I found many times my statuses were posted with a subconscious hope that someone would care and ask for more. I didn't want to use Facebook this way but with few local friends and a busy life as a mom, wife and having a job I often found Facebook became an outlet for me. (I am always grateful to have my Lord present in my life and the ability to spend time "venting" to him and sharing my heart. But unfortunately, I found Facebook a temptation when it came to sharing my heart) I'm sure I'm not the only person who deleted a million typed statuses before posting, knowing it was too whiney or depressing. Instead, more recently, I have found myself trying to be encouraging to others by posting uplifting thoughts and scripture verses. But even with my attempt to be more positive I have had to take certain "friends" off my news feed in order to spare myself the sadness and heart ache that seemed inevitable.
In light of all this, I have decided to blog more and spend less time "catching up" on Facebook. I will check in and stay in touch through Facebook but spend less time scanning my news feed. I will still post things that I feel might encourage others and updates on the things Dave and I are involved in with our ministries. I have no intention of "bragging" on Facebook but over Christmas break I shared some things Dave, our kids and myself did to help others and I was encouraged to hear that a friend had been inspired and motivated to do more in her own area to help others because of what I shared. I have so many flaws and weaknesses and am not the greatest role model but in some ways I hope others can see how Dave and I live and find it in them to also step up and get involved in helping others.
Facebook needs to be a place of encouragement for me, otherwise, it is not something I need in my life. I will, therefore, make it what I need it to be. :)

Comments