Running Diary Part1

So, I've been running regularly for probably under two months. Since we have a treadmill I felt like it was the easiest way to exercise while having kids. I knew I wouldn't get my money's worth out of a membership to a gym. Dave has become quite the runner and in the past year he's ran a few 5ks, a half marathon and a triathlon. He had never been interested in running but once he got to a certain point he realized he could run races. It was merely for exercise but turned into a lot more. So, i started running with Dave as my inspiration since I had always felt the same towards running.
Our church supports an orphanage in Kenya and today they held their annual 5k/10k walk-a-thon. I knew I would at least walk it to support the cause but about two weeks ago I realised how close I was to being able to run it. I was running 2 miles at the time so with Dave's strong encouragement I started to push myself a bit more with the motivation to run the 5k instead of walk it. As of last Thursday I had only run 2.5 miles. Today I went to the race with the goal of running the 5k without stopping and finishing under 45 minutes. I was able to run the whole thing and finished strong and feeling like I could have gone farther. My time was 37:45 which I was thrilled about. So, I have my first 5k under my belt and I feel so good about myself. It's amazing what exercise can do for your self image and opinion of yourself. I feel strong and empowered and can't wait for the next race.
Comments