From the mouth of Babes
I was in the left turn lane to leave the grocery store parking lot. On the right, standing on the curb, was a man holding a sign which simply read "Hungry $1.00". The thought crossed my mind that I could give him a few bucks but I from where I was he would have to cross one lane to get to my window. So, I didn't.
As I pulled out into traffic Gabriel says, "Mom, I saw a guy without a house and without food." I responded with something like, "Yeah, that's sad huh?" He then says, "We should give him money." I explain that it would be difficult to turn around from where I was in traffic. He drops the topic but only for a few moments before he says, "We should give that guy lunch." I again tell him that we're almost home and it would be out of our way to get him food and go all the way back. After a short pause and he says, "I'm really sad we can't give that guy lunch!"
WOW! I cried.
His heart is so soft and sweet. He really cares about people and the most amazing thing is that he gets the lessons Jesus taught that so many of us forget!
Matthew 25:35-40
Jesus Speaking: "'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’
“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’
“The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
Ezekiel 16:49
Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
We are so concerned about what is ours and what we earned and are entitled to. We don't want to share our money with those who have less but Jesus taught that is the very thing we should do.
Gabriel gets it!
Comments