One of ten essentials for godly living

As my personal devotional time, I have been going through a Bible study called A Woman's High Calling, by Elizabeth George. God's really convicting me of a lot of things which is good but leaves me being VERY accountable to change these things. The following is from the chapter on Self Discipline.
Self Discipline
Imagine. . . impacting the lives of others though greater ministry. And that ministry in extended first and foremost to our own family (Titus 2:4-5) What a blessing we are as wives and mothers and home managers when we are self-controlled! You and I can truly provide a haven of rest for our family when we provide an atmosphere (and provide a wife and mom) that contains no screaming. No fits. No anger. No lashing out. No blow-ups. No stomping, slamming or emoting. How blessed are those who have for a wife or a mother a woman who is serious about answering God's high calling to be stead, calm, rational, and reasonable. Who is cool, calm and collected. Who has herself under control-- even when everything else is falling apart. Who deals with life without agitation or strain, calmly moving into action, solving problems, and doing what is right. And the same goes for your friends, your school mates, and your work companions! Your personal discipline and temperance blesses them beyond measure.
This hits SO many areas of my life. How I spend my money, exercise, eating, talking to my kids, disciplining my kids, what I think, how I spend my free time, how I speak to and about others. It's over whelming but I know all these things need to be under control for me to really be usable by God. Another quote from the book spoke volumes to me about how badly I need to be self disciplined:
It has been well said that the future is with the disciplined, and that quality has been placed first . . . for without it the other gifts, however great, will never realize their maximum potential. Only the disciplined person will rise to his highest powers. He is able to lead because he had conquered himself. - J. Oswald Sanders (from his book Spiritual Leadership)
Comments