God with us. . . even during a pandemic


My personal feelings and concerns about COVID-19 have gone through phases. I remember back in March feeling no personal fear of the virus, but a lot of concerns for others who were in higher risk categories. As time went on I became more concerned about my family and what might happen if one of us got sick. Our town was a “hot spot” for some time, things got better and now we are heading right back there. Schools are almost totally remote and even still people are getting COVID-19. It’s getting closer to home with colleagues getting sick, some hospitalized, family members who’ve lost loved ones. Some very healthy people have gotten very sick. What if it gets closer? I don’t feel I am struggling with an unrealistic fear. It’s not all consuming and I don’t think about it all the time by any means. But. . . It’s a small little voice. 

So, what does this have to do with “God with us?” Last night we began our Advent readings as a family. The question was asked, “What do you hope for this Christmas season?” I shared with my boys and Dave that I hope for good health for my friends and family. I told them that I felt our sacrifices have been to protect others, ourselves and our community. It’s been hard not spending time with friends. So, tonight Dave got to the prayer and I asked if I could read it. As I read it, it was as if God just said, “I’ve got this.” The passage was Psalm 4:5-8 but these are the words that struck me, “Trust in the Lord . . . In peace I lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” 

Gabriel has asked me many times, “How do you know if God is talking to you?” 

This was a moment. I shared with Gabriel how I felt God spoke to me through the words I read. He asked me, “Do you also think God told you to ask Dad if you could read it?”

After the readings and prayer we listened to the Christmas song, Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel. Emmanuel means “God with us.” These words spoke much comfort to my heart:

Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,

And death's dark shadows put to flight.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a . . .

A mother of 3 boys

Liam's 3 rd Birthday Party