My little journey to today

I grew up as a homeschooled kid. I didn't play any sports and I didn't take any musical instrument lessons. I didn't 
spend much time with adults other than my parents so I was shy and nervous when interacting with adults. My confidence was always low. By the time I got to my high school years I had grown a lot, but still lived in the shadow of friends and older siblings. I had a hard time figuring out who I was and who I wanted to be. When I was 20 years old, living at home, and working at Wells Fargo something possessed me to do something completely out of the ordinary not only for ME but for any girl in my family. I decided to move to Cannon Brach, OR and go to a small little Bible school. Looking back, I don't remember being scared, nervous maybe, but not scared. I was excited to try something new and to meet new people. Moving to Oregon was the first real decision I felt I made on my own. It was huge. It was there that God brought Dave Oldenkamp into my life. 


We've been married 16 years now and have gone through a lot, good and bad, but no matter what, our marriage has been wonderful. Dave's been my biggest fan and he's made up for all the times others let me down. He cheers me on enough to compensate for those who don't.

4 years ago I overcame my lack of confidence in my abilities and took the ParaPro assessment and passed it with flying colors. I became a full-time paraeducator with zero experience in teaching. Somehow I impressed my principal within my first year that he encouraged me to go back to school to become a teacher. I gave him all my excuses for why I couldn't: we couldn't afford it, it would take too much time, I was already working full time and was married with 3 kids.

Well, God kept nudging me. My Uncle Charlie made an offhand comment on Facebook about how I would make a good teacher. It planted that seed a bit deeper in my heart. Then I read a book my brother Greg recommended called Outliers that really got me to thinking about the boxes I've put myself in over the course of my life. Rarely did anyone tell me I could be more and do more. This book changed the way I saw myself. I COULD do more. I needed to pursue a teaching degree. I thought about it for 2 weeks before I finally brought it up with Dave. I didn't think it was possible for me to be student with all the other things I was responsible for, but I had to tell him it was on my mind. He was so supportive and was the driving force that pushed me forward to make the scary decision.

2 years ago I enrolled in Western Governors University. I started working on my 122 credits on March 1st, 2017. The past 2 years have gone quickly, but were a lot of work. I told Dave recently that in the deep parts of my heart and mind I always believed I would come to something, some kind of road block, that would stop me. Somehow, I felt I wouldn't make it to the end. It wasn't a thought I spent time on. It was deep inside me. . . but it was there. Graduating from college in my 30s just didn't feel like it could be a reality. I pushed forward kind of knowing that it would end eventually. There were things that came along that were difficult (the edTPA is a bad word in my house!), and tears throughout. But nothing stopped me. Nothing blocked my path.

On December 28th, 2018 I graduated with a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies!  

Through the past 2 years God has taught me a lot about myself. I like who I am today a lot more than who I was even 2 years ago, but there's so much more to learn and experience. I have a lot of growing to do. I am anxious to know where I will be teaching this fall. When I first got hired as a para I wanted to work at my kids' school. I got hired at Robertson. I applied for a job at Whitney the next year and didn't get it. After 4 years at Robertson, I am so thankful for the time I had there. It was wonderful to work with fabulous teachers and for a principal with a vision. My heart is at that school. But I must remember that what I originally desired was not what God gave me. So, now I wait to see what he will surprise me with. I am trying to be open minded and open hearted knowing that God cares about me. I will teach where he wants me to teach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a . . .

A mother of 3 boys

Stinky, Uncontrollable Moments