I'm looking in the mirror

I write this with a sad and convicted heart tonight. I'm sitting here on my Craig's list couch, watching a movie on my flat screen courtesy of the Xbox, in my three bedroom home.

There's an eight year old boy staying with us for the next few days. He's William's best friend. He comes from a large family who is currently living at the Mission. His family was staying with Grandma until there was a falling out. All their belongings are in storage and they're fearful of losing all of it because they can't pay the rent. Mom's cell phone is off because she can't pay. She asked if he could stay with us for a few days and of course I said yes. 

Tonight, as we were getting ready for bed, Izaac was checking out the pillow pets, dream lites, and stuffed animals. He turned to me and said, "Man, you guys are rich!" 

My heart hurts for this boy. He doesn't have a home, his own bed, and few belongings. God never ceases to remind me of how I've been blessed and how important it is to bless others. Jesus spoke over and over about His Kingdom and that our purpose is bring a sliver of his Kingdom to earth for others to taste it. We should strive to bring joy and hope into the lives of people who struggle in this world. Jesus didn't ask us to analyze their lives and how they got into the situation they are now in. He simply tells us to love and serve with compassion. 

I have so much. . .yet I still complain and long for more. My selfishness has been brought to my attention with this young boy who entered our lives today. God, let me change and become more loving, compassionate and giving! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a . . .

A mother of 3 boys

Stinky, Uncontrollable Moments