God as our Parent

Today I laid my hot straight iron on the bed waiting for it to cool before I put it into my bag. Liam walked in and started to touch the cord. I warned, "Don't touch! It's very hot." He walked away. Gabriel came in, reached out and touched the handle. I warned, "Don't touch! It's very hot." Only a couple seconds later after glancing at my face, he looked at the iron and with one finger touched the hot area. He immediately pulled his hand back, looked at his finger and started to fuss. It blistered almost right away.

After it was said and done, Dave and I realized how often we do this to God. The Bible is so clear about sin: lying, pride, drunkenness, sex outside of marriage, gossip, etc etc. He gives us these guidelines to protect us from the guilt and the consequences. Yet, we still do what we want to do regardless of our knowledge of the Word.

James 1:22-25 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Gabriel could have trusted me. How much MORE can I trust God?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a . . .

Time with God

Thailand part 4- the aftermath