back to school?

So a couple months ago, for the first time since I married Dave almost 7 years ago, I started to think about whether or not I should go back to school. It was a fleating thought and I dismissed it fairly quickly. However, one evening we had a couple friends over and we were talking and jobs and education came up. I brought up how I had thought about going back. Well, I had never told Dave about that so at this point he was very surprized. Again, it was merely a comment. I told them, including Dave, that I just didn't feel like it would happen with two kids and one on the way and that I wasn't even sure what I would go for.

Well, since then it keeps coming back to my mind. I just haven't been able to completely put the idea away. I'm in Oregon right now visiting a college friend who's a nurse. We've been talking a lot about it and she's really been an encouragement to me. I've truly appreciated her thoughts on the topic. I called Dave and told him that I've been thinking a lot more seriously about this. So, he's been searching online programs and so far this is the most appealing to me:
Associate of Arts in Psychology with a focus on Christian Counseling
It's a two year program but also a stepping stone to get the four year Bachelor of Science in Psychology if I end up wanting to go that far. I thought about teaching but am just not sure if I'm interested enough. I don't think nursing is up my alley either. But I feel like counseling comes naturally to me already. I think the jobs this degree could open up for me is stuff that I would feel comfortable with and enjoy.


So. . . the plan? I am going start with a small load in the spring and get some gen eds outta the way. We'll see where this takes me.

Comments

Emily said…
If counseling is the direction you want to go you might also look at the American Association of Christian Counselors. www.AACC.com
They have many good courses and you can receive college credit through them, though I'm not sure about a degree. I've looked into them before (it's been awhile) and I think most of their courses are "work at your own pace" which makes it easier when you're also running after little ones.
Emily Dante
Kristin said…
Wow, Kami! Good for you to pursue this. I will be praying that the timing and course load fit well with the pending adoption and other aspects of life!
Melissa Meyer said…
Sounds like an exciting step! :)

Popular posts from this blog

It's a . . .

A mother of 3 boys

Stinky, Uncontrollable Moments